Monday, May 17, 2010

Parent Through Me




This morning, God spoke to me in the most simple, and humorous, way. I've had this thought before, but this morning I felt it settle into my spirit.

At a little after 5:00 am, I crawled out of bed and made my way to Leagan's room. I kneeled by her bed, placed my hand upon her...and as she lay so still I prayed for Leagan in a special way. God knows Leagan better than anyone...He created her. As a parent, sometimes our children's personalties are frustrating at the same time they are admired. There are many characteristics, especially within Leagan, that I'm not quite sure how to parent...but God does. So, I claimed Luke 11: 9-10, asking and knowing that I would recieve. Maybe not the why, but the how...and I'm o.k. with that. You see, I want her to be the very best she can be according to God's will. She was created for a purpose, and I would never want to stand in the way of that perfection. She is my oldest, and so in many ways she is the guinea pig. However, trusting God to lead my every step with her gives me peace. As I just thought about the whole guinea pig analogy I realized that isn't really true. Why not? Because her sister is nothing like her...

The time had now come to quietly make my way to Addie Claire's room. Since it was so early in the morning, it was still very dark and the only light I had was the bit that managed to survive from the window over the front door, but even that light dimmed less than half way down the hall. I opened her door and started towards her bed. What light I had was gone, and within the first few steps I took came my first stumble. There is something that you should know about my 2nd child. She is VERY free-spirited, is unaffected by clutter, and would love nothing more than to dance, sing, and do cartwheels all day. As I stepped on one of many things that littered her bedroom floor, I smiled. This is the moment that the Lord spoke so deeply into my spirit. Whatever I tripped on is part of Addie Claire. It is a part of her characteristics...a part of her very being. She doesn't get bogged down and fret over the small things. It is one of those frustrating yet admired characteristics that she has, and since she was created by God...there is a purpose for those very traits. While I would love to have her room clean, I realized in a way I never had before that this is Addie Claire. I smiled as I began to pray. She must have turned over at least 3 or 4 times, which is also so typical of her. She is never still, even as she sleeps. I prayed, just as I did with Leagan, that God would help me to parent Addie Claire in a way that would help to accomplish His will for her. Just as Leagan was created for a purpose, so was Addie Claire.

Although they are both from the same family line, the girls are VERY different. What works for one, frustrates the other. Leagan prefers stucture and rules, Addie Claire would rather there be music and free play all day! I do not know on most days how to be a parent to the two of them, but I am so thankful that my God does. He knows exactly what they respond to, how to correct them without defeating them, and how to encourage the very spirits He created. I am perfectly imperfect, and for me to try and do this on my own would be foolish. 1 Corinthians 1:30 reminds me that my wisdom comes from Christ, and that is why I call on Him daily. While I feel on most days that I fail miserably, God's word also tells me that I am renewed each day. So, this is a new day for me to rely on God to love through me and parent through me. I am so excited to see what God has in store for Leagan and Addie Claire, and to see how their personalities are used by Him for His kingdom.

Now...Hollis is a completely new blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment