Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Body by God

So this morning, God spoke once again...but I'm not sure I like what He said. You see, if there is something I don't like about myself I have the ultimate determination to change it. From physical flaws to character quirks...I am Johnny on the Spot with correction!
About six weeks after Hollis was born, I began to battle joint pain. There were some days it hurt to just hold my newborn son. The pain isn't just in my hands, but throughout the joints in my entire body. I never know when I wake up where it will hurt. This has been very hard for me to accept because it is something I can't change. Before you ask, I have tried different joint treatments. The pain has kept me from going to the gym, which is beyond irritating to me...but again, something I can't control. So, being the determinated woman I am, I just have pushed through it and for the most part can ignore any of the pain while I am working out. I am not about to let this silliness get me down!
About 3 weeks ago, I began having almost severe pain in my left foot without an obvious cause. Not in the joint, but on the bottom center of my foot. When the pain wasn't sharp, it was aching. After 4 days I decided it needed to be checked out, and so off to the chiropractor I go. He did some evalutaions with an instrument and an x-ray or two and determined there is swelling in the bone. Bsaically a pre-fracture. Whew...it wasn't a fracture, because immediately in my mind I'm thinking 6 weeks of NO GYM. Some swelling...that'll go away fast. After the first week of 3 treatments with the laser to reduce swelling, it became obvious this wasn't going to be a quick fix. The second week past, and my frustrations grew because the pain was still lingering.
Now...more than 3 weeks into this silliness, here I am. Sitting on my bed typing this blog when I should be getting ready to go to the gym for Turbo Kick...which I love. It is a total body workout, which I need with Summer coming on at full speed and not having gone to the gym in so long.
ENTER THE VOICE OF GOD. I was driving home this morning after dropping the kids off and thinking of what I could go to the gym and do for cardio that wouldn't hurt my foot. My mind began taking me down the road of "if I'm going to be ready for summer and comfortable in the heat bearing attire I'll have to wear, I have GOT to get to the gym. I can control this if I can just get to the gym". God clearly interjected a, "let ME do this". I have heard this before with our finances, and He DID do it. We have never been in a better position financially, but my body? How is God going to tone my body as if I'd gone to the gym everyday for weeks? Or is he just going to change my heart so that I accept flab? I'll choose to believe the tone! I have had the thought that the bone swelling was yet another lesson on my way home. And here it is. My whole issue with my body image that I've had for as long as I can remember...God is choosing now to press the issue. In my late 30's when things don't tighten and tone as quick as I'd like, or stay that way for very long without maintenance! When summer is knocking at the door, which means bathing suits, shorts, tank tops...grrrrrr. Why now, Lord...why now?
And so here I sit, admittedly still trying to figure out the cardio dilema...but knowing that God is working on me. Refer back to the second sentence in this blog...God knows that determination, He is the one that gave it to me. He is just trying to channel it right now. I am also obedient, determined....but obedient. And so without hesitation, I know this lesson will be taught as well as accepted. I'm just in the beginning stages of digesting it all, and I'm sure irritating God in the process!

1 comment:

  1. sonya, you're so awesome! i know HE will answer you....

    but, until He does, i'll throw in my two cents ;)

    have you thought about water aerobics? does bodyworks offer that? no pressure on your joints at all!!

    ReplyDelete