Monday, June 21, 2010

Mostly Fingerprints Part 6

Each week Shawn and I were writing our letters to God, seeking scripture, and meeting with our coach. After several sessions, our assignment was to write a letter to each other. The letter was to include how we had been hurt by our spouse. I put the letter off all week knowing this couldn't be a good thing. I would have to read this letter to the coach, and then to Shawn. First of all, if you know me...you know there is nothing that I had not already "shared" with Shawn. But it was our assignment. SO...I sat down and started writing. Then I stopped, prayed about what God would have me to share, and went on about my business. The share session came, and Shawn left the room so that I could read my letter to the coach. Then she left to go and listen to Shawn's letter. They both came back. Shawn was pretty sure I needed to go first, but somehow I won out and he went first...only, he didn't have a letter. I think this was the most cherished and loved I'd felt by him in a LONG time. His reasoning was that he didn't want to hurt me...he saw me as fragile and went on to explain why. A flood rushed over me and that was a huge turning point for us. He did still care...about my feelings, about protecting me. (Now some of you reading this may be thinking it wasn't healthy for him not to share...apparently what he did was the exact thing that needed to be done). It was my time to share, and just as Shawn felt there was not a need for a letter...this is what God had told me when I prayed about what to write. Shawn had already heard all of his trangressions over the years and there was no point in airing them in front of someone else. I'm not sure how it made him feel, but it felt good to me. It was almost like wiping the slate clean and preparing to step forward. I was choosing to behave like my Father. The sun started to shine a little brighter that day, but clouds were still in the forecast. Would they bring a refreshing rain or would a trip to the storm shelter be needed?

No comments:

Post a Comment